Friday, April 25, 2008

To play to win

To stand in the path
of certain defeat,
and to think
about play and life
and decide that
to play to win
is real play
and all other play
is not play.

To play the best
and to never give up
in the face of defeat
and to pull off a victory
when world says
that it is impossible.

Whoever said play is just play,
winning or losing doesn't matter,
has lost before play.

To win
and applaud the rival
for his effort,
to lose
and know that
one never gave up
till the end.

To get up
the next day
and get ready for
another fight.

To keep winning
in the purest sense
of the word,
is never giving up.

2 comments:

Blade bala said...

That was different style of writing. But doesn't match the thrill and excitement of your previous poems.

"To keep winning
in the purest sense
of the word,
is never giving up."
Interesting line of thought

Venkat C said...

yeah, I felt so too. The style changed and when I saw the finished product, I ciouldn't decide whether to post it or not. But being me, its change for the worse or better, I have to go with it.
reminds me of the poem I wrote about my blog some time back:
http://fascinatingjourney.blogspot.com/2007/04/blog.html

And especially these lines:
"What you see now
is what I am today.
But with a little effort
we can see the past.
And we will never know what next."

True to my words :) and thanks for being such a nice critic :)