Friday, December 01, 2006

Rebellion

I did not realize till recently the number of things I do just because somebody says that it is wrong without any logic.

I bought a black colored car. There were no second thoughts. It was an instant choice when the salesman asked my preference. I knew that a black car will look dirtier if not washed regularly. But I still went for it. I have more black colored clothes than any other color. My mobile phone is black. Why? It is because my parents never used to allow me to buy black colored things though I liked them. They had no reason except that black is "generally" considered to be linked with death and sorrow.

Even if I don’t eat non-vegetarian food on other days, I make sure I eat it on Fridays and Saturdays. I don’t buy new clothes for festivals but buy them whenever I feel like.

I don’t believe in God. This was a well researched decision. But the trigger was my Mom's unbreakable faith and her insistence that I be as devote as her. As a rule, I don’t go into temples (If I do, I go directly to the free food queue).

I don’t say anything to make somebody feel happy or sad. I say the truth. Truth is one way to make somebody feel uncomfortable. It is one way to test a person. If he/she can handle brutal honesty, he/she can handle anything. It is a good way to make great friends.

I dress in full formals on Fridays. I wear round neck t-shirts and a pair of faded denims on Mondays. I get up early on weekends and late on weekdays. I dress in casuals for traditional occasions.

I eat beef and pork. If meat is not to be eaten, all meats have to be avoided. Why this partiality towards cows? May be it made sense in olden days because cows gave a lot of other things which made it unreasonable to kill them for meat.

I got drunk just to feel the “kick”. And recently I ordered a Margarita in a dinner with friends and their families. And explained to them what Margarita consists of. If somebody thinks that I am not supposed to do something, I do it right in front of them.

I talk taboo subjects at the most unexpected moments and amuse myself observing the ever so fine twitches on the audience faces.

If I feel somebody is beating around the bush, I tell them to come to the point. It doesnot matter if its a bad news or criticism or sarcasm, I want it plain. No decorations please!

If I am not comfortable with somebody or if somebody irritates me, I make sure that they know it. If they persist, I will avoid them at all costs. I don’t care that I hurt them.

Don’t ever tell me what not to do. I will do exactly that! "Why not?" is the question which I want the answer for. If you have it, tell it to me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Truly a rebel... But it take lots of guts to live up to what you believe and what you do...
//I don't believe in God. This was a well researched decision//... Most Atheists back up with scientific proof for their (lack of) faith. Was your decision based on the same lines?... if you don't mind me being inquisitive...

Venkat C said...

Naz,
Thank you. That decision was based on extensive reading of all religious texts available coupled with all scientific theories and mixing them up with my wn and adding a bit of common sense and then finally being a rebel.